Protect yourself from flooding! Hazard analysis in practice
Traditional and modern methods allow reliable identification of critical sites as a basis for planning protective measures against flooding.
12 participants from Platform member organisations, the ICRC and SDC worked through the following questions:
- Where are the hazardous areas and what are the critical sites?
- What do the silent witnesses tell us about the event history?
- How can I handle drones and use them for hazard analysis?
- How can I define the discharge of the Emme river?
- How did the Hotel Kemmeribodenbad and nearby farms cope with the 2022 flooding event?
The Field-Day was an element of the first part of the Learning Journey Hazard and Risk Assessment, complementing the 6 webinar modules conducted in the first half of 2023. Participants enhanced their capacity on how to conduct a hazard assessment, including how to use drones. The second part will focus on risk assessment, with a series of webinars starting at the beginning of 2024 and ending with another field-day planned for summer 2024.
For details on the Learning Journey, see the training concept.
- Georg Heim, Head of Water Engineering for Emmental Region, former SRC DRR Advisor
- Andrea Blindenbacher, President of Drones for Earth